Howland Tax Services

Howland Tax Services International

Income Tax Preparation

Canada and the United States

Frequently Asked Questions

I need my tax returns prepared. Can you help?

All returning clients: yes!

New client inquiries: maybe.

We receive hundreds of voice mails and emails from interested new clients every year. We have to be careful not to take on too much, but if it looks like we can fit you into our current workload we will usually take you on. It helps to contact us early: if you send an email 3–4 weeks before the filing deadline we probably can't manage it.

What do I need to send you?

We provide several checklists that can help organize your personal, business, or rental tax documents. The checklists indicate what receipts we need to see.

New clients should send copies of the last returns filed, and if possible, the assessment notices from CRA or the IRS for that year.

We don't need to see business or rental income receipts if you fill out one of our checklists or provide your own spreadsheets. However, if you aren't sure exactly where to put things, feel free to send them along.

How much will it cost?

Returning clients: about the same as last year (but usually a bit more for inflation) if your tax situation is similar.

New clients: we can't give a quote before actually getting into your tax documents. Cross-border jobs are usually in the range of $500–$1,500 per year (plus 5% GST and shipping), depending on the time spent and complexity of the returns. We will send a price confirmation before completing your job.

When will my tax returns be finished?

Sorry! We can't make any promises about how long it will take for your returns to be prepared. Jobs are started in the order they are received. Most tax returns are begun within a few days of arrival, but there could be delays before the final version is done if you are missing information, or we need to ask questions. We believe that our current clients are all very happy with the turn-around time.

I need to consult with somebody about my taxes. Can I ask you some questions?

We don't usually provide tax consultation services (we're a tax "preparation" service), other than in the course of preparing your tax returns.

I had U.S. gambling winnings and 30% tax was withheld for the IRS. Can I file a return to claim a refund?

We can prepare a 1040NR return for you to obtain a refund, but there are a couple of hurdles you need to clear. First, depending on the game, you may need a record of gambling losses to deduct against the winnings. Second, you may need to apply for a U.S. ITIN number. See this page for more information.

CRA or the IRS sent me a demand to file letter, and I need my tax returns finished by this date. Can you prepare them for me?

Perhaps. As noted above, we can't make any promises about how long it will take, and jobs are started in the order they are received.

The information on this website, and the use of this website, are both provided without warranty of any kind. Income tax rules change every year and some information may be out of date. All readers wishing to take advantage of the information offered here should consult a qualified income tax preparer. In no event will Brad Howland, Howland Tax Services, or this website be liable for any damages, including lost profits, arising out of the information offered on this website, or the usage of this website. All material on this website Copyright © 2001-2022 by Howland Tax Services, Inc. Please contact us for permission to use this material in any form. Website designed and maintained by Brad Howland.