Howland Tax Services

Howland Tax Services International

Income Tax Preparation

Canada and the United States

Do I Need to File Form 1099-S?

Author: Brad Howland
First Posted: March 12, 2005


"I Sold my House for less than $500,000. Do I Need to File Form 1099-S?"


You do not have to file Form 1099-S if you sell or exchange your principal residence for less than $250,000, or $500,000 when preparing your tax return using the "Married Filing Joint Return" status.

However, there is a requirement for the seller to provide an "acceptable written assurance" or certification. If there is no certification provided then the 1099-S must be filed.

The certification would include information to support the conclusion that the full gain on the sale is excludable from the seller's gross income, and would be obtained from the person responsible for closing the transaction.

You can read all the gory details on the IRS website at:

The information on this website, and the use of this website, are both provided without warranty of any kind. Income tax rules change every year and some information may be out of date. All readers wishing to take advantage of the information offered here should consult a qualified income tax preparer. In no event will Brad Howland, Howland Tax Services, or this website be liable for any damages, including lost profits, arising out of the information offered on this website, or the usage of this website. All material on this website Copyright © 2001-2024 by Howland Tax Services, Inc. Please contact us for permission to use this material in any form. Website designed and maintained by Brad Howland.