Howland Tax Services

Howland Tax Services International

Income Tax Preparation

Canada and the United States

1099 Forms for Musicians Hired

Author: Brad Howland
First Posted: April 6, 2004


"I'm recording a CD. Do I have to fill out 1099's for the musicians on the record? I paid them either $500 or $1000."


You should give each musician who earns $600 or more a 1099-MISC Form. You would also file an Information Return with the IRS reporting the income paid.

It's not that hard so you might want to do it yourself. Here are some IRS webpages to get you going:

Related Websites

Ordering the 1099 Forms and Instructions

Guide to Information Returns

Filing Information Returns Electronically

The information on this website, and the use of this website, are both provided without warranty of any kind. Income tax rules change every year and some information may be out of date. All readers wishing to take advantage of the information offered here should consult a qualified income tax preparer. In no event will Brad Howland, Howland Tax Services, or this website be liable for any damages, including lost profits, arising out of the information offered on this website, or the usage of this website. All material on this website Copyright © 2001-2024 by Howland Tax Services, Inc. Please contact us for permission to use this material in any form. Website designed and maintained by Brad Howland.